HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:50:29 -0500
The bits of geocaching I've seen is interesting when the participant
supplied a photo from one of the numerous digital sources available (whew
where's the Brownie that started this?) of the location. It becomes a sort
of travelogue and a clue too I guess, though photos often are hard to
figure, a "separate reality" subject to many factors that create "artefacts"
and illusion. Working once in close-range photogrammetry on 386 Intel
computers (deparate "maths" chip) you begin to appreciate the computational
"brain and brawn" needed to take a few photos and orient them in
"ciberspazio" and measure, (what you had been standing next to) from them.

I just hope safeguards are followed in geocaching that no one uses it to
abduct, hurt or otherwise entrap another human. I hate to be left with just
the photographs and the ubiquitous "cookies".

George Myers