ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Beryl Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 08:55:02 -0400

Yes, I agree, however, the reality is that funders don't care about
experience.  The trend has been towards more and more evaluation
demonstrating hard core content.  Perhaps it's the result of congress
asking for justification of spending by federal agencies.  Perhaps
it's the result of  funders wanting to know if their money has been
well spent.  We all know that education/learning/etc. is
exceptionally difficult to measure, and the easiest handle to use is
that of test scores and rote memorization and "spit back".  We all
know that you may not see the results of an experience until 10 years
down the road.  It saddens me that we are being strongarmed into
being something we are not, and losing the primary hallmark of
informal learning settings.
Beryl

--
Beryl Rosenthal, Ph.D.
Director of Exhibitions and Public Programs