ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ted Ansbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:54:32 EST

The term Hands-On must go back at least to the science education reform
efforts of the '60s and '70s--SAPA, ESS, etc. But the concept certainly goes back
much farther. I have a kit titled <<Fun with Magnetism>> from 1896 which says
<<Children like to do experiments, themselves, with their own apparatus; and in
this way, better than in any other, a practical knowledge of the elements of
magnetism may be obtained.>>

The term MInds-On, in all modesty, I claim to have created myself, although I
am sure others have also done so independently. At a meeting at the Boston
Museum of Science, in the mid '80s, Roger Nichols brought together
representative from several science centers to discuss creating more effective exhibits. We
were discussing Hands-On techniques, and at one point I remarked that we
should remember that Hands-On was only a means to the true objective, which was
Minds-On. In 1987 I wrote an article titled <<Hands-On/Minds-On Science: Putting
Process in Perspective.>> Unfortunately, the article was never published, so
my claim remains unsubstantiated. I will be interested to hear of other
people's recollections of MInds-On.

Richard Gregory published an essay in 1989 titled <<Turning Minds On to
Science by Hands-On Exploration: the Nature and Potential of the Hands-On Medium.>>
But in it he never actually used the term Minds-On.

I also recognize Ian Russell as the contributor of the additional Hearts-On
attribute of a good exhibit. (Which brings to mind the 4-H Clubs, where the
four Hs stand for Head, Heart, Hands, and Health. And, yes, I guess some of our
exhibits do even include Health.)

Ted Ansbacher, principal, Science Services, 29 Byron Ave, White Plains, NY
10606
Tel: 914-328-5407     Fax: 914-328-5407     Email: [log in to unmask]