ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ted Ansbacher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 10:15:56 EDT

I wonder if it wouldn't have been more effective to put the different
materials out in the sun for a period of time and then let the students simply touch
them to feel the different temperatures. What do probes and sensors add to
this, in the fifth grade?

<< Using probes and sensors in my classroom has definitely allowed my =
students to develop a deep understanding of heat energy.  The task that =
we completed tested different materials and colors to determine their =
temperatures when exposed to a light source.  However, learning the =
software, the technology, and developing computer skills (my students =
are only in fifth grade) took so long that although this task would have =
normally taken a day or two, the unit took over two weeks! >>

Ted Ansbacher, principal
Science Services
29 Byron Ave, White Plains, NY 10606
Tel: 914-328-5407  Fax: 914-328-5407