HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
chris rohe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:29:16 +0000
This is mainly a statistical matter and probably an often misuse of
statistics.  A mean is meant to give an idea about a data set not really
predict anything- can be if the data are normally distributed.  If you have
a group of data with breaks in it then the mean nay well fall in one of
those breaks or be pulled left or right due to outliers.  Shouldn't you just
use your latest dated artifact within a certain context anyhow?  Maybe using
the mode may be more informative.