HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:50:16 -0500
Louis Berger and Associates suggested central place theory as an
explanation for the siting of larger and smaller maple syrup making
sites at Fort Drum, New York, for their 1980s inventory survey of the
installation.  The idea was that smaller sites were initial processors,
and the larger sites were finish processors, with several smaller sites
feeding into each larger site.  The explanation fails, because it
ignores property boundaries, and no competent syrup maker hauls
half-boiled sap/syrup through the cold February woods, from one boiling
house to another.

Another question, what is Christaller's original or most complete
statement about central place theory?  Hodder and Orton cite "Die
Zentrallen Orte in Suddeutschland" [Central Places in Southern Germany]
of 1933 (may be a different date), but this appears to be a very short
article.

D. Babson