From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2003 23:51:54 +0000
   Frederic Chopin(1810-1849)
   Fantaisie-Impromptu, Op.66

Gyorgy Cziffra
Aura 111
Recorded 1969
TT 70:17

Chopin Program:
Etudes, Op.25/1 & Op.10/3/10/12
Waltzes, Op.64/1/2 & Op.42/2
Fantaisie-Impromptu, Op.66
Ballade No. 4, Op.52

Liszt Program:
Sogno d'amore
Ronde des Lutins
Transcendental Etude No.10
Funerailles
Hungarian Rhapsondy No.2
TT 70:17

Although Gyorgy Cziffra's reputation stands primarily from his performances
of the music of Liszt, he was also an exceptional Chopin performing
artist.  This disc of in-concert performances from Aura finds Cziffra
performing the works of both composers.

Cziffra's Fantaisie-Impromptu is certainly a distinctive interpretation.
Cziffra's pacing in the 1st section is quite slow, but the level of
tension and angst is much stronger than in most alternative performances.
In the 2nd section, the pacing is even slower compared to other recorded
versions as Cziffra takes long pauses and often uses hushed phrasing.
The intimacy he imparts is outstanding, although I still prefer Ashkenazy's
heart-melting phrases.

Unfortunately, there is a major 'fly in the ointment' and it comes from
a soundstage much in need of help.  Bass response is hollow, treble
response is thin, decay time is too short, and piano tone is recessed;
it's as if Cziffra is at the bottom of an inverted cone and can't escape.
Also, the sound has a swimming acoustic to it; being underwater and
bottomed-out is a sure recipe for decreased listening enjoyment.

So, we end up with an interpretation which deserves much better sound
than it gets.  My estimate is that, with an appropriate soundstage,
Cziffra's performance would be among the best on record.  As it is, the
reading is never allowed to take flight or have great impact on the
listener.

Don's Conclusions: Poor sound nearly ruins the effect of a highly
individual, intimate, and incisive interpretation.  I can't recommend
the performance except to the extent that a listener can get an approximate
idea of its true worth.

Don Satz