From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:42:10 -0600
Don Satz responds to Mike Leghorn who responded to Deryk Barker:

>>>And Glenn Gould claimed that Mozart had died too late, not too early.
>>
>>And this coming from someone who's most celebrated contribution to music
>>was made 27 years before his death (the Goldberg Variations, recorded
>>in 1955).
>
>I smell 'bias' here from a man who prefers Perahia's Bach to Gould's.

Yes, I do prefer Perahia's Bach to Gould's.  I don't mean to dismiss
Gould, but I was discouraged from exploring his output when I heard that
he tweaked with his recordings.  In fact I just listened to some of the
'55 recording in the car today, and I thought I heard some tinkering of
the gain.  Certainly it's a minor offence when compared to the magnitude
of his talent, but nevertheless, I'm trying to get "close" to the music,
and any extra stuff injected into the recording, by engineers or whoever,
introduces a layer between me and the music.  I know it sounds crazy,
but at least I'm not as crazy as Gould was (and I'm nowhere near as
talented).

>Both Mike and I would give our right hands to be as celebrated as Gould
>was, but I do give Mike credit for using the properties of addition and
>subtraction correctly.

I used a calculator.

Mike Leghorn