From:
Robert Berkoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 12:07:54 -0700
I would like to add to my last post in regard to Dons question about a wide
range of reviewer opinion.

I purchased quite a few discs from the CRI closeouts.  Most of the composers
I had prior experience with their music.  Some I did not.  These I researched
as much as possible.  Sometimes I found nothing. I did get complete information
about the discs at archivmusic.com.

Jon Deak "The call of the wild." I had all my information about who was
playing on the disc, and what the songs were.  It seemed like something
I would enjoy. It turned out I had trouble getting through the first song.
I generally do not like music with voice overdubbing.  I put it away, and
two days later I decided to listen again.  I did struggle through the first
song and stopped.  I have not filed it yet.  I want to hear what the other
songs have to offer.  If not, it will definitely get filed.  It happens
sometimes.  I will say my batting average is very good.  So no complaints.

Mary Howe, again, no information other than what I read at archiv music.
I thought this disc looked interesting.  This time the minute the music
started to play I knew I would like this disc.  It caught my attention
immediately.  I really am enjoying this disc, and know I will return to
it often.

I really want to thank Don for bringing this up.  I hope other members will
respond to this thread.  I really would like to know how others feel about
this and how they handle it.....

robert berkoff