From:
Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:48:12 EST
Gretchen Ehrenberg writes:

>Is it just me?  I don't "get" Ned Rorem.  I tried so hard to like the
>organ pieces and some of the songs, but I just find myself at a loss.
>If there is a recommendation for a Rorem skeptic, please offer it.

There is a recent disc of all Rorem songs with Susan Graham(on Erato)
that is very beautiful.  This may convince you that the songs are lovely
and valuable acheivments.  Perhaps you are looking for more than there
is in Rorem.  He is interested primarily in melody and is not particularly
complex or *modern* (in the sense of challenging or difficult) at least
in his songs.

Peter Herwitz