HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 13:06:57 -0400
Jamie-

I seriously doubt that a metal detector would be useful in delineating
historic graves. Most grave shafts are simply too deep for the metal
detectors I have seen. I have used systematic probing for a number of years
with good success. That technique employs a tile probe with a replaceable
case hardened steel tip, and requires probing every six inches or so along
transects placed about 3 feet apart. I orient transects north-south as the
overwhelming majority of historic graves are oriented east-west. Each soft
spot is then carefully probed, and normally it is possible to detect the
edges of each grave so they can be marked. I place spikes in all four
corners of each grave, and then map in each pit. This method requires some
judgement, as you have to be careful to distinguish between graves and
other types of anomalies. Graves are straight sided and normally contain
ledges about 3 plus or minus feet down where the coffin chamber begins.

I have used this technique to delineate close to 100 cemeteries. Probing is
not effective in poorly consolidated sand, extremely rocky soils, or in
very dry soils with high clay content.

Pat Garrow