HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 19:47:53 +0800
I doubt my reply will be of any help to you at all as I am based in Western
Australia.

However, I have used a metal detector on a late 19th century cemetery, It
delinated things like the location of spikes associated with former head and
foot markers, nail scatters associated with former wooden fence surrounds
and the former location of a metal surround. I would never use it for the
coffins, ours are 10ft under, only stacked burials get near the surface. In
that cemetery I used a combination of physical survey of depressions, aerial
photographic analysis and the metal detector survey to find about 180
missing graves, I forget the exact number.

In our main colonial cemetrey physical survey does not locate many
depressions as they graded it. There I have used aerial photographic
analysis (the graves and other features mostly show up really well), probing
with a metal probe (not very sucessful in a sandy soil). probing with an air
probe (much easier in sandy soil) for the coffin remains (hard to determine
results without digging up the graves to find out if the hard bits really
were coffins) and GPR.

All projects were just pilot projects. The GPR survey was on an area showing
glaring white on the aerial. There were two marked graves in a plot 18 by 15
metres. The GPR survey indicated 57 occupied grave plots within the area
with fairly regular differences in height suggesting some shafts held one
coffin while others held two or three stacked coffins. The third uppermost
coffins were at about 1.2 metres depth. The survey indicated 123 people were
buried within the test area.

Cheers Gaye