HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
georgejmyersjr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 15:20:47 -0500
I am not sure about the marks but you might want to check with the DuPont
museum in Delaware, the Winterthur. Many years now I visited with the NYC
Landmarks Archaeologist and Meta Janowitz to see the Chinese Export
Porcelain there while Arlene M. Palmer, author of "A Winterthur Guide to
Chinese Export Porcelain", 1976, by Crown Publishers, Inc. (ISBN
0-517-52178-4 paper) was there. I more recently heard at the Jones Museum of
Ceramic and Glass in Maine that Ms. Palmer is living in that state. I also
had the pleasure of meeting George Miller there, then on a grant from Parks
Canada.

The collection of porcelain is quite large I imagine but more for the export
trade perhaps though it might be a question easily answererd by a someone
curating the materials, that is whether or not there are "chop" marks on any
of the pieces.

"Hands across the water" you might want to ask in Shanghai, China, that is
perhaps an artist at here may be able to assist, there is a wonderful
village, a whole kiln village in idea as part of this site and who knows?

RedChop.com Is an online art gallery where you'll experience the work of
painters who are defining the movement of contemporary art in China.