From:
Cynthia Good Mojab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:42:12 -0800
Dear colleagues:

I want to let you know that my article, "Sunlight Deficiency: A Review of
the Literature," has been published. It appears in the March-April 2003
issue of Mothering magazine. If you are interested in borrowing it from
your local library, the full citation is: Good Mojab, C. Sunlight
deficiency: A review of the literature. Mothering. March-April 2003; 117:
52-55; 57-63.

This article represents two years of reviewing the interdisciplinary
literature and interviewing experts in related fields. I attempt to answer
the questions that mothers (and their health care providers) around the
world might have as they strive to make informed decisions regarding this
complex, controversial and global issue. The questions include:

1. What is vitamin D?
2. What is vitamin D deficiency and what are its consequences?
3. How do people get enough vitamin D?
4. How do nurslings get enough vitamin D?
5. Who is at risk for vitamin D deficiency?
6. What is rickets?
7. How common is rickets in nurslings?
8. What are current recommendations for preventing vitamin D deficiency in
nurslings?
9. Are there any risks of vitamin D supplementation?
10. What ingredients are in vitamin D supplements?
11. Are there any risks of producing vitamin D via sun exposure?
12. What is the greater context of sunlight deficiency?

The article includes a table comparing the vitamin D recommendations made
in the US (currently under review and revision), Sweden, Canada, the UK,
Australia, New Zealand, and, globally, by UNICEF and the WHO. One sidebar
presents excerpts from an interview with Ruth Lawrence, MD, who generously
reviewed the entire article before it went to press. The article includes
118 reference notes. An excerpt from the article can be read via the
breastfeeding section of the publications page of my website, Ammawell
(http://home.attbi.com/~ammawell).

I welcome feedback on the article from anyone having time to provide it.

Cynthia

Cynthia Good Mojab, MS clinical psychology, IBCLC, RLC
Ammawell
Email: [log in to unmask]
Web site: http://home.attbi.com/~ammawell