HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Thomas W. Cuddy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 09:44:32 -0500
Remember how computer data was encoded 20 years ago - on punch
cards?  Got any boxes of old cards laying around your storage area
with valuable data on them?

I am sending this message out to HISTARCH as a public service to let you
all know of the success the Archaeology in Annapolis project recently
had in converting punch card data to modern digital formats.  The
Cardamation Company of Phoenixville, Pennsylvania can run your cards
and email you the results, or even rent you a card reader if you have too
many cards to send.  We had four artifact databases translated, two of
them somewhat large (>25,000 pieces).  The data was quickly imported
into Excel with no problems.  If you are in need of this service, contact:

Cardamation Company
PO Box 349
Phoenixville, PA 19460
(619) 935-9700
(800) 848-1718

I am happy to be a reference if anyone would like one.  Hope this helps
some of you.

--Tom

Thomas W. Cuddy, PhD
Curator of Archaeology