HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2003 18:05:48 +0000
There's also a little group known as the Society for American Archaeology, or SAA (www.saa.org) --- I think there were only 4000 archaeologists at the last meeting I attended

---------- "Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]> writes:

From: "Robert L. Schuyler" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Agency Archaeologists Job Cuts
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 12:03:55 -0500

Julia:
         A new, potential SHA member!  Go recruit her.

         Cassie: The SHA is the greatest and most wonderful archaeological
organization in
the universe (of course along with the SPMA, the SAHA, and CNEHA). Look at
the Society
for Historical Archaeology home page and if you are interested join and
come and join with all
of us next January in St Louis, Missouri (Lewis and Clark 1804 = 2004) for
the annual conference.

                                         Bob Schuyler
                                         SHA member

At 09:53 PM 2/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Dear Ms. King,
>
>I have recently joined the HISTARCH listserv, and I was curious as to what
>SHA is of which you are president.  Also, I noticed that you have a
>Maryland phone number, and am curious to know where you are based.  I am
>an Archaeology student at Washington University, specifically a senior
>about to graduate in May.  My parents live outside of Baltimore in White
>Marsh, MD (hence my keen eye for the 410 are code).  Anyway, curiosity got
>the best of me, and I just had to ask.  Thank you for your time.
>
>Sincerely,
>Cassie Wallis
>
>****************
>Cassie J. Wallis
>314-935-1325
>Campus Box 3870
>
>On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, King, Julia wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > I have been following the thread on "Agency Arch Job Cuts" with great
> interest, and I know that other members of the SHA Board and Committees
> have as well.
> >
> > When one of our directors brought this issue to the attention of the
> Board about ten days ago, my board colleagues and I began collecting as
> much information as possible so that the Board could determine the
> appropriate course of action to take.  Indeed, the HistARCH discussion
> has been especially beneficial because not only have a number of people
> participated, but a number of different points of view have been
> presented. This information is invaluable as the SHA works to develop a
> position that best represents the views of the membership.
> >
> > Please continue the discussion or, if you would prefer, contact me
> off-list or by phone (410.586.8551) if you have other input for the Board
> to consider.  You may also want to contact Dr. Judy Bense, chair of the
> SHA Governmental Affairs Committee.
> >
> > Thank you for your interest in this and other issues; I have found it
> especially helpful for understanding the multiple and complicated issues
> at stake.  I will let you know the direction I receive from the Board on
> this project.
> >
> > Julia A. King
> > President, SHA

Robert L. Schuyler