HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Hoover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:01:40 -0500
Over the last week, many of you have addressed worries over questions of
quality and gatekeeping functions as the result of the DOI announcement about
privatization.  I have another simpler question.  If this is all being done
to save the taxpayers money, how do they figure reducing the number of agency
archaeologists (who work for peanuts) will SAVE money, since they will then
have to contract with higher priced commercial firms?  Won't this cost more
in the long run?  Will it be an excuse to then reduce the level of
archaeology required, again to save money.  I think DOI budget people have
shot themselves in the foot on this matter (or maybe it is just part of a
bizarre plan to limit archaeology, though they don't usually plan that far
ahead).  Thank goodness my kids did not become accountants or actuaries!

Since the true archaeological MANAGERS will be gone, will we have to develop
a new term for CRM?  Perhaps CRC (Cultural Resources Consumption) or CCR
(Commercial Cultural Resources)?  Wow!