HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ned Heite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 05:14:17 -0500
It's a good thing Dr. Brooks is safely away from the U.S.

What liberal, commie, left-wing, anti-American heresy! You would
immediately be placed on John Ashcroft's list of undesirable
subversives under 24/7 surveillance.

Like other forward-looking nations (I believe Liberia is the only
other one at the moment.) our Fearless Leaders have decreed that the
metric system is bad for the economy, which puts it in the same
category with the global warming treaty, anti-missile treaty, Saddam,
Yasser, and the Euro.

At 10:21 AM +1100 1/6/03, Alasdair Brooks wrote:

>Well, for one thing, I can guarantee you that they won't be measuring in
>inches and ounces.
>
>Alasdair Brooks

Actually, kidding aside, archaeologists will probably keep using feet
and inches when measuring historic artifacts. It makes good sense to
measure objects in the system that was used by their makers. So in
fact, if the future archaeologist has his wits about him (or her, or
it), the engine block will be reported in inches and thousandths of
an inch, providing you can still find those neat electronic calipers
that give results in both systems.

--

Sitting here, sipping diet mead from my auroch-horn flagon,
I wonder that my contemporaries all look like a bunch of old folks.