From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 09:30:39 -0400
Jim Tobin replies to me:

>>I still think the first Bernstein [Harris Third] was the best (Sony,
>>now).  It had that raw energy, drive, and sense of space and wonder
>>I've always liked.  It does have a cut in the middle section.  I keep
>>the Ormandy around to have an uncut version.
>
>The first Bernstein is the only one I know.  How much did he cut?

A litlte from the pastorale mid section, toward the end of it, I believe.
Not that much. If this is a serious issue, I can play one after the other
and be more specific and report bacl. The cut has certainly not detracted
from my enjoyment of the performance. The first Bernstein is my touchstone
for this piece, cut or not cut.

Roger Hecht