From:
Aryeh Oron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:29:03 +0200
Bach Cantatas Website - Non-Vocal Works Section revised

The Bach Cantatas Website (BCW) is aiming at the Sisyphean mission (in
the positive sense) of completeness regarding the Bach Cantatas and
Bach's Other Vocal Works. This target means covering every possible
aspect of the works: recordings, text & translations (to as many languages
as possible), scores, references, commentary, short biographies of
performers, articles, terms, and what I consider as the most important
part: systematic discussions of the works and their recordings, performers,
books, general topics related to the subject, etc.

Although Bach's non-vocal works do not form a part of this goal, I
included in the BCW a special section dedicated to them, as a service
to the growing international community of Bach's music lovers. In this
section you can find reviews of individual recordings as well as
comprehensive comparative reviews. Most of the reviews are by the
unfatiguable and always illuminating Donald Satz, but the section includes
also important reviews by Kirk McElhearn, Bradley Lehman and others. In
some cases a recording has multiple reviews; in others I added as an
addendum some of the feedback to the review. In that way the readers can
have more than one opinion and get broader view of the recording.

The Section of Reviews of Bach's Non-Vocal Works at the BCW has been
largely revised and updated lately. See:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/IndexNonVocal.htm

The major changes are:
a. I have added all the reviews I could find sent to the BRML, Classical
Moderated List and others during the last three years (in few cases, even
earlier), including the most recent ones.
b. Photos of the CD's were added, and details of each recording were
completed (unless I could not find them).
c. I added links at the bottom of each review to:
- Other reviews of recordings of the same work.
- Other reviews of recordings by the same performer(c).
- The main pages of the BCW.
d. I added index of the reviews by performers (alphabetical). See:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/IndexNV-Per.htm

I hope you will find the revised section useful. If you have any corrections
and/or additions to the data of the recordings in this section, or
suggestions for improvements, please send me a message. The guidelines
how to contribute to the BCW are described in the page:
http://www.bach-cantatas.com/How.htm

If you want to contribute a review of a recording of Bach's non-vocal works,
the best place to send it to is the BRML. In due time I shall add it to
this section.

Enjoy,

Aryeh Oron
Bach and Jazz Music Fan