From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:01:17 +0000
   Robert Schumann(1810-1856)
      Waldszenen, Opus 82

Aldo Ciccolini
Cascavelle 3056
Recorded 2002
TT 71:19
Couplings: Carnaval de Vienne Op.26, Piano Sonata Op.14

Aldo Ciccolini has been making recordings for decades, and this well
filled Cascavelle disc is the most recent offering from one of the great
pianists of our time.  Right from the start of "Forest Entrance", one
notices the exceptionally supple phrasing Ciccolini offers.  His "Lonely
Flowers" is the most poignant I've ever heard, and he brings a delicate
precision to "Bird as Prophet" that represents our winged comrades better
than in any other recorded version.

There are a couple of features that bring the performance down a notch.
First, the two hunting scenes tend to plod slightly as Ciccolini's drive
is not consistent and his exuberance rather low; these two readings just
never take flight.  Second, a weak bass response dampens some of the
music's intensity.

Although the above reservations do not allow Ciccolini's version to be
counted among the most rewarding, he is utterly compelling in the Eusebius
music which constitues the majority of Waldszenen.

I'll be reviewing the Ciccolini performance of Schumann's 3nd Piano
Sonata along with other versions at a later time, but I can safely
recommend this Cascavelle disc for its idiomatic interpretations and
outstanding scenes of Eusebius.

Don's Conclusions: The Ciccolini Waldszenen, with the exception of the
hunting scenes, stands tall with the Arrau, Richter, and "Elisso" versions;
Ciccolini offers a delicate precision which is distinctive and absolutely
gorgeous.  So, pick up and enjoy.

Don Satz