From:
Denise Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:24:50 +1000
When a mother of a less than 6 to 8 week old fully breastfed infant tells
me that her baby isn't stooling at least several times a day I treat it as
a red flag.  With the oversupply of lactogenesis II not yet settled into
the nice, neat supply = demand phase I expect that babies will stool
frequently.
How often does infrequent stooling at that age turn out to be normal?  I
suspect it's not nearly as often as we would like it to be.  Either we
quickly diagnose that the baby is not latched well and supply is dropping
due to poor milk transfer (or whatever), or maybe not until several years
later will we find this child does have large bowel pathology, after the
mother has been reassured that everything was normal.
In my experience infrequent stooling in the first couple of months should
be at least acknowledged as a deviation from the normal, if not investigated.
Denise

Denise Fisher
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://www.health-e-learning.com