Date:
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:10:43 EDT
Hello everyone,
I am a LLL Leader and have a very good friend who is also a Leader and a
nurse.  She gave birth to her 4th child about 4 months ago and is having a
terrible time nursing.  She can't seem to find a LC willing to see her
because they are so busy in our area.  Here is a bit of her problem in her
own words.  Any advice is appreciated as she is exhausted and frustrated.

I started with an SNS this weekend and that is going OK although I find it to
be a pain!  Justin didn't need the nipple shields, he is latching on great.
He will nurse with the SNS but not well without because my supply is still
down.  I am up to 3 Fenugreek 3X day plus Mother's Milk tea several times
each day.  And as of yesterday, I still cannot pump more than 10 oz (and
that's all day, about 5-6 times).  Justin is nursing 2-3 times during the
night but more for a quick snack and comfort.  By about 5-6am, he starts
fussing and gets up and eats 5 oz. of formula.

So here's my problems:
1.  Supply is still low.  I don't know why!  Maybe I need a thyroid check and
some Reglan.  Any other ideas?
2.  Justin vomits alots after BF, but hardly at all after formula.  I am
assuming he is allergic to something, just don't know what.  I don't think I
have the stamina to do an elimination diet, I am stressed out enough already!
Don't know why else he would vomit after getting breastmilk (that's either at
breast or in bottle or even mixed with formula)
3.  Justin is taking Zantac and homeopathic meds for reflux.  Probably need
to up medicine or switch, although on the two days last week we only gave
formula all day (saving BM in refrig) he only vomited twice!  Go figure.

Thanks,
Lee Ann Burkholder