From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 07:04:10 +0000
   Johannes Brahms(1833-1897)
   Handel Variations, Opus 24

Andras Schiff
Teldec 99051
Recorded 1994

Andras Schiff is one of the most prominent and frequently recorded pianists
of our time.  Having started recording for Denon, Schiff moved on to Decca
and currently records for Teldec and ECM.  His repertoire has mainly been
of the more well-known composers and works:  Bach, Beethoven, Janacek,
Brahms, Mozart, Mendelssohn, Schubert, Schumann, etc.

My personal opinion of Schiff's recorded performances runs hot and cold.
Much of his Bach leaves me flat, although his recordings of the Well
Tempered Clavier are highly rewarding.  I tend to feel that his best work
is in the romantic repertoire and am particularly fond of his Schumann
performances.

The disc at hand has a baroque theme, since the two additional items are
Handel's Suite for Harpsichord in B flat major and Reger's Variations and
Fugue on a Theme of J.  S.  Bach.  Clearly, Schiff has much affection for
the baroque period, and the disc's program allows him to blend it with
romantic and late-romantic styles.

Just one more adminstrative matter, and it concerns only providing one band
for the entire Brahms work; the Reger is similarly restricted.  The policy
is not user-friendly, and Handel's short work gets a whopping four bands.
So there's just a total of six bands, as if the disc contained two Mozart
piano concertos.  On the other hand, most recorded versions of the Handel
Variations also offer only one track, so I'll stop grousing at this point
and move on to the significant matter of Schiff's performances.

'Exemplary' well describes my reaction to Schiff's Handel Variations.
Phrasing, accenting, articulation, spacing, inflections, voice interplay,
etc.  are all exceptionally handled.  Also, Schiff knows when to dig for
emotional depth and tenderness as well as finding ample exuberance and
strength.  He's generally elegant and light which is a fine combination.

However, there's only one variation which really sticks in my mind;
that's the 24th where Schiff's attention to detail is illuminating.  Put
another way, Schiff's consistency reminds me of the Fleischer version, but
Fleischer bests Schiff at every point.  There is an important line which
separates the excellent from the exceptional, and Schiff rarely crosses it.
His power is admirable but not commanding.  Poignancy is effective, but
doesn't cut to the heart.  The burdens of life are heavy, but not crushing.
And so it goes with all emotional themes.  Schiff's is easily a thumbs-up
version, but can't qualify for essential listening with the fantastic
competition facing it.

Concerning the remainder of Schiff's recording, his playing is consistently
excellent.  I do question the wisdom of pairing the Bach with the Handel
Suite which has "Handel's Theme".  It's not one of Handel's best Suites for
Harpsichord and vividly reminds me that Handel's much shorter version is
also much less rewarding.

The Reger work puts an interesting twist on the program.  Whereas Brahms
takes very little and produces much, Reger works with a magnificent theme
from an aria duet for contralto and tenor from the Ascension Oratorio.
It's a hard act to follow, and Reger is sometimes successful although he
has a tendency for bombast.  Also, he only puts window-dressing on Bach's
theme in the 1st and 2nd Variations; it's too much of a good thing and
makes Reger look like a man who is reluctant to stray far from the Master.
Fortunately, starting with the 3nd Variation, Reger takes us to the world
of late-romanticism and makes the work his own.

The sound quality of this Teldec disc is very good.  It has an appropriately
rich tone and is quite clear.  My only reservation is that there's a
*bright* quality which my ears don't appreciate.

Don's Conclusions:  Schiff's Handel Variations deserves your consideration,
particularly if you veer toward elegance and a poetic touch.  As for the
total program, Schiff routinely offers excellent performances.  Not an
essential disc by any means, but one that's guaranteed to please.

Don Satz