From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:00:48 +0000
Kenneth Cooke speaks out negatively on musical categories:

>It's all music to me.

Granted, it certainly is all music, but there are many different types
of music.  Personally, I appreciate that most stores have a classical music
section, since I sure don't want to wander throughout a store looking for
my musical preferences.  I never use a store to determine what I want to
buy; that knowledge is already in my head long before I enter the premises.
Further, it's rare to find a person who enjoys every type of music.
Actually, I'd be skeptical of anyone fitting that description.

Kenneth also gave a glowing opinion of Keith Jarrett's recordings of Bach's
Well Tempered Clavier.  I agree with him as long as Jarrett is performing
on harpsichord.  On piano, his very smooth lines are a bit too much.

Where Kenneth and I are in sync concerns the Beschi recordings of Bach's
Suites for Cello.  These are sharply etched and incisive readings which are
my favorite on baroque cello.

Don Satz