From:
Martin Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:34:39 +0100
Greetings, assembled multitude

Someone in this playgroup (might have been John Wiser) said I post only
when I want something - not strictly true, but not that far off the mark.
But now I do want to avail myself of your collective wisdom - though I
fear it will start a hurricane of responses.

The thing is, I'm going to start my own CD label, expressly dedicated to
unknown or little-known repertoire - chamber music by Heinrich Kaminski
and Hans Gal, piano music by Konrad Ansorge and Greville Cooke, songs by
Milford and Rontgen, string quartets by Reicha and Suter....  It doesn't
matter what the period is, or whence the composer - the sole criterion is
that the music be good.  There's no point in recording stuff that's already
available (unless the existing recording seriously misrepresents the music),
so I'll be concentrating my efforts on material that largely new to the
catalogue or hasn't been available for ages (I'm quite easy about releasing
existing recordings - from radio or historical sources, say - if the music
deserves it).

Now, the first thing is finding a name for the label.  I have one or
three in mind, but would be happy to have your suggestions - privately if
you prefer, but I imagine the list would enjoy a public christening ceremony.
One consideration is that it begin with A or another letter early in the
alphabet, so that the releases appear high in the listings; another is
that it convey some sense of energy ("Allegro" is the kind of thing I have
in mind, though that one has been done to death, of course).

It's the other part of my request that, knowing you lot, I think might
cause a feeding frenzy.  What about repertoire suggestions?  I have hundreds
of ideas listed already, but there are bound to be lots of composers held
dear by people on this list whom I haven't heard about. Bear in mind that,
much though I might like to record pieces like Pergament's oratorio "Den
judiske sangen" or Brian's opera "The Tigers", I'm not going to be in that
league for a while. I am all ears.

Another thought is that some of you may have musician friends who have
recorded some pet project that has not found a home. I'm not interested
in more Brahms piano music (much though I might love it myself).  But
Bargiel or Bausznern piano music and they might be on.  So I'd be grateful
for any such connections.

Cheers

Martin Anderson
Toccata Press