From:
Martin Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:38:36 +0100
The International Forum for Suppressed Music is pleased to announce the
founding of the IFSM Suppressed Music Mailing List, intended to provide a
platform for the discussion of composers working under, persecuted by or
exiled from totalitarian or other repressive regimes.  The current focus
of the IFSM's activities is music in Nazi Germany and Austria and, shortly,
the Soviet Union and other communist countries, but we hope the discussion
on the list will cover all areas where composers and other musicians have
suffered from the interventions of illiberal governments: Armenian music
under the Turks, American composers blackballed by the McCarthyites, Spain
under Franco, and so on - postings can cover any relevant topic.  We expect
that most postings will cover "classical" music, defined as broadly as
possible, but there is no reason to exclude popular and folk music (etc.)
from our discussions.  Membership of the list is open to anyone interested
in the subject.  You can join by visiting
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/suppressed-music.html and following the
instructions you'll find there.  We would be grateful if, when you make
your first posting, you could introduce yourself and your particular area
of interest to the list - other listers will doubtless find it useful to
know who else is working on the same or allied subjects.  Welcome!

Martin Anderson
International Forum for Suppressed Music
http://www.jmi.org.uk/suppressedmusic/