From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:12:21 +1000
Tim Horwood wrote of Simpson:

>that a lot of his writing seems an exercise more in logic using
>sound rather than inspired music.  Anyone find his music inspiring?

I think there's a difference between inpired music and music that's
inspiring.  "Inspiring" can often mean what you want it to mean, so I'll
mention a few other adjectives I'd apply to Simpson's symphonies.  Witty
- those strange little scherzos.  Cool, as in not warm - I think this is
what Tim means when he refers to "an exercise...in logic", but to some
extent you could describe, say, the last movement of Mozart's Jupiter
Symphony as an exercise in logic, not that I'm suggesting that that lacks
warmth.  Exhilarating - the closing pages of the 4th and 5th symphonies,
which I think are some of the most exciting music I know.

And when, oh when, are we going to hear the 11th?

Richard Pennycuick