From:
Mike Leghorn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:55:18 -0500
Don Satz replies to my point:

>>I think a lot of people are getting tired of the old tension-release
>>"formula" that has been so essential in western music....
>
>I find Mike's statement rather strange.  "Tension-Release" has to do with
>musical contrast; eliminate contrast and we will be left with monotonous
>music.

Believe it or not, music can be interesting and dynamic without the
"Tension-Release" inherent in the harmony and forms of Western music (e.g.
Balinese, Cage for Prepared Piano, Reich).  My crazy spin on the subject of
"Tension-Release" (for fun?):  It's all about problem solving.  The tension
is the problem, and the release is the solution.  Look at Sonata form:  it
sort of comes full circle, with a calm, contented exposition, a typically
agitated development, and a resolution in the recapitulation.  Many uses of
the Sonata form impress me as a working out of a problem.  Now, onto how
this relates to us in the "west":  We're not happy unless we're solving
problems (I can't wait to hear responses to this point).  One aspect of
eastern thought that seems so foreign to us is living in the present, i.e.
meditating, i.e.  not problem solving.  Eastern influences seem to be more
prevalent in our society now than, let's say, before the advent of the
"flower" generation (60's).

Skeptical? Compare Wagner's harmonies in Tristan with harmonies in
Gorecsky's 3rd Symphony (wildly popular these days).  Wagner:  complex,
loaded with tension; Gorecsky:  transparent, static.  What do you think?

>Who are the folks tired of tension-release? I don't know anyone who has
>suggested dumping it, but Mike's breadth of human contact might well be
>greater than mine.

I can't speak for the human contacts you have, but it would be a pretty
amazing coincidence if you knew the same people I knew.  So, if I mentioned
who these folks were, you probably wouldn't know them.

Mike