From:
Miguel Muelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:40:42 -0400
"Donald Satz" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>As most you know, the famous orchestral Pictures at an Exhibition was
>written by Mussorgsky for piano. I was thinking of doing a review project
>of the various piano versions and went to one of my favorite websites(H&B
>Recordings)to take a look at the available recordings.
>
>I was taken aback by all the versions on record - almost forty of them.
>Of course, the Richter/Philips from Sofia is considered the best of the
>bunch.  What other performances do you find highly rewarding? I have a few
>other recordings, and I'm not sure that I want to invest in dozens of them.

I recently purchased the fairly new Evgeny Kissin PICTURES, RCA
09026-63884-2.  I have heard it through only once so far, but I must
admit that it got me all excited.  It was almost (notice I said almost)
as exciting as the Richter.

I am not always thrilled with Kissin, but this Pictures is certainly worth
a hearing.

Miguel Muelle
http://mmuelle.home.mindspring.com