From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:25:47 -0400
Karl Miller had said, in response to David Harbin:

>>The Sympnohy in 3 movements is a real find.  The Theme and Variations
>>are also terrific stuff.
>
>The latter is one of my favorite works of his...his second recording on
>Victor, remains a treasure of my collection.

I was just listening to this on my earphones last night, and it was
as if for the first time.  I don't have your Miklos-conducted version,
which I presume is on an LP, but rather the more recent one on Koch.  All
the same, what a marvel.  I've seldom been anywhere as impressed by any
theme-and-variations structure.  Maybe I just haven't been listening...

I so welcomed Koch's multi-CD Rozsa collection -- and heartily second
Richard P's endorsement of the Viola Concerto + the one for Vln & Vla,
perhaps my favourite CD of the bunch.  'Wish they'd gone on to traverse
the chamber music and more than just 3 suites from his film scores, but
I guess one can ask for too much.

All the same, setting aside listening matters for a testy nitpick, I
think the Koch people shot their collective foot right off in that series
with what has to be the dullest, most insipid CD (or LP?) cover 'art' ever.
Watercolour pastoral scenes and, apparently, a slice of pizza to evoke a
fiery, urbane romantic from Hungary? One really couldn't come up with
anything more inane.

Bert Bailey