From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:26:37 -0400
Christopher Rosevear mentioned finding...

>...http://www.daedalus-books.com/ which seems to specialize in
>odd recordings of interest.  I have.  For example, found the Stravinsky
>conducts Stravinsky series that I have been looking for.

I'll boldly insert an uninvited 2 cents' worth about one item in this
series:  I had the Ermitage 09068 -- with the Octet, Dumbarton Oaks,
Ragtime, etc.  -- and would discourage getting it.  It may well be another
item in this series you have your eye on, and maybe this has historical
value.  But my feeling is that had it not been for the S-conducts-S angle,
it wouldn't have been released.

It's certainly affordable, however.  AFAIC, expect value commensurate
with the outlay:  the performances disappointed for lacking the tight,
crisp execution I need for my Stravinsky.  To compound the weakness of the
Svizzera Italiana Radio-TV ensemble on this CD, the sound was distinctly
fuzzy and lacking in focus.  It may be a case of having had these works
imprinted via Sony's 22-CD edition ...but I doubt that.  All told, I was
only impressed with the cover photo.

Interesting site, though; and its boast about good prices is not empty.

As for CD internet shops with hard-to-find CM repertoire, a recent
discovery for me -- though not for our moderator, I later saw -- is
http://www.recordsinternational.com/.  Nowhere as cheap as the Daedalus
site, but its list is very impressive.  There's also a toll-free number
for all of North America, and the owner's very approachable.  Also, the
write-ups he's added about these recordings appear to shed needed light.

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa