HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Bowles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 11:31:11 -0800
Hi all,

Being as I grew-up in rural Michigan USA with privies, shallow (water)
wells, and slop buckets I can tell 'ya first hand that privies and shallow
(water) wells were placed no closer than 50 feet of one another .. and yes
we limed them .. and for good reason. Privies are acidic (H*)and lime is a
base (CaOH) and the end product is much nicer .. nicer smelling and the lime
disintegrates it all.

When I was in Korea . the big caliber shells came cased in a metal tubes
about 6 inches in diameter and 3 feet long. We'd dig a hole .. fill it with
rocks .. stuck in the metal tube so's it'd be 18 inches above the ground ..
and instant privy.

Barrels'd worked .. but we didn't have any!

JimB