HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 23:44:57 +0100
In message , Kris Farmen <[log in to unmask]> writes
>With all this grousing about Prince Madoc, the Kensington Stone, etc, I
>thought I'd point out that as scientists (of one fashion or another) we
>shouldn't just summarily dismiss such tales.
I must admit that I've been rather surprised that no-one has mentioned
(let alone given) a response which I could characterise as 'post-
processual' to beliefs which I could characterise as 'daft' (note ironic
use of epithets in way that celebrates and values sub-cultures).
Seriously: I'd like to recommend Gazin-Schwartz, Amy and Holtorf,
Cornelius J. _Archaeology and Folklore_ (1999) 0-415-20144-6. This has
some very thought-provoking papers that explore a number of the issues
which have been talked about here.

Best wishes to all,

Pat
--