From:
Bruce Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 03:34:03 -0800
Robert Peters wrote:

>Hello to everybody!

Hello Robert!

>Who can translate the following Satie titles resp. subtitles for me?

This will be from a Satie fan's perspective, not from a scholar of the
French language.  8^)

>1) Gnossiennes II: Avec etonnement

Gnossienne 2: With amazement

>2) Croquis et agaceries d'un gros bonhomme en bois

Sketches & Provocations of a Portly Wooden Manikin 1 - Turkish Yodel Song

>3) Croquis et agaceries d'un gros bonhomme en bois II: Danse maigre (a la
maniere de ces Messieurs) (Assez lent si vous le voulez bien)

Sketches & Provocations of a Portly Wooden Manikin 2 - Thin (or Lenten)
Dance (in the style of "Their Lordships") (Fairly slow, if you don't mind)

>4) Avant-dernieres pensees I: Idylle (a Debussy) (Modere, je vous prie)

Next-to-last-thoughts 1 - Idyl (after Debussy) (Moderately, I beg you)

>5) Avant-dernieres pensees II: Aubade (a Paul Dukas) (Pas vite)

Next-to-last-thoughts 2 - Aubade (after Paul Dukas) (Slowly, not fast)

>6) Veritables preludes flasques (pour un chien) I: Severe reprimande (Vif
[sans trop])

Genuine flabby preludes (for a dog) 1 - Very "nine in the morning"- Ricardo
Vin~es (Lively [but not too])

>7) Veritables preludes flasques (pour un chien) II: Seul a la maison (Pas
vite)

Genuine flabby preludes (for a dog) 2 - Alone at home (slowly, not fast)

>8) Veritables preludes flasques (pour un chien) III: On joue (Aller)

Genuine flabby preludes (for a dog) 3 - Someone is playing (Go)

>9) Trois Morceaux en forme de poire I: Maniere de commencement (Allez
moderement)

Three Pieces in Pear form 1 - By way of beginning (Proceed moderately)

>10) Trois Morceaux en forme de poire II: Prolongation du meme (Au pas) 2)
Enleve

Three Pieces in Pear form 2 - Extension of the same (at a walking pace) 2)
con brio

>11) Trois Morceaux en forme de poire III: En plus

Three Pieces in Pear form 3 - In addition

>12) Trois Morceaux en forme de poire IV: Redite (Dans le lent)

Three Pieces in Pear form 4 - Repetition (on the slow side)

>13) La Belle excentrique I: Grande Ritornelle (Pas trop vite)

The Eccentric Belle 1 - Grand Ritornello (slowly not too much fast)

>14) La Belle excentrique III: Valse du Mysterieux baiser dans l'oeil

The Eccentric Belle 2 - Waltz of the mysterious kiss in the eye

I have a feeling my spell-checker isn't going to like this at all...  8^)

Regards,
Bruce Hunter