From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:57:38 +0100
Dear All, I saw the most extrodinary CD in a shop yesterday.  It was
a complete Ring cycle recorded live at the Met conducted by Stiedry and
starring Helen Traubel and Krsten Flagstad (Walkure) as Brunnhilde, Hotter
(Rheingold) and Franz as Wotan and Svenholm as Siegfried.  Astrid Varnay
was Sieglinde.  What a collection of voices!!!

I am disappointed by many of the Bayreuth recordings in the 50s as they are
spoilt by the prompt or the orchestra sounding like it's at the bottom of
the Rhine.  Perhaps someone could comment on this set?

Also, Steidry - I have never heard of him before and wonder what sort of
conductor he was.

There are so many dud Ring cycles out there spoilt by the sound
(Knappertsbusch, Krauss), conducting (Solti, Karajan) or singing (Levine).
Is this at last 'the one'?

Regards,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK