From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:46:28 +1100
Mike Smith, of the Oistrakh/Szell Brahms:

>EMI released that recording at the same time as the Brahms Double
>Concerto with Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Szell/Cleveland.  I think those
>LPs (along with a Dvorak 8), were Szell's very last recordings--1969
>or early '70. Most of the review praise went to the Double, with
>more limited enthusiasm for the Violin Concerto.  Does anyone know
>if they've been paired on a CD? If so, definitely worth snagging.

The Double Concerto's coupled with the Oistrakh/Rostropovich/Richter
Beethoven Triple Concerto in a Great Recordings of the Century re-release
(the coupling has existed under other EMI label names).  I have the
Oistrakh/Klemperer version of the concerto coupled with Mozart's Sinfonia
Concertante (with Igor) on EMI Studio.  I thought I read that it's been
re-released on one of EMI's Naxos-priced labels, but I can't find the
reference.  The Szell version of the concerto appears to be nla, and my
admittedly less-than-current references have no mention of its ever being
on CD.

Richard Pennycuick