From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:00:04 +1100
My copy of Dohnanyi's Symphony No 1 on Chandos has as a filler his
American Rhapsody.  This opens with On Top of Old Smokey, which I found
so incongruous that I couldn't take the work seriously.  Some time later,
I bought the 1st Violin Concerto on cpo, again with the American Rhapsody.
One version of it would have been enough, but the CD was on special, and
there's no choice of versions of the concerto.  Now ASV has released the
2nd Violin Concerto which I also want, but Murphy's Law of Diminishing
Returns has decreed that the filler on this is yet another version of the
American Rhapsody.  There are other short works by Dohnanyi they could
have used.  What's the bet that if I buy the ASV, some other company
will release the second concerto with some Dohnanyi I haven't got?

Richard Pennycuick