From:
Peter Schenkman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2001 21:07:57 -0400
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the superb Szigeti recording from
1928 (Sir Hamilton Harty/Halle Orchestra) or even the remake with Ormandy
in 1945.  I also get a bit fed up with the Heifetz bashing that so many
appear to revel in.  His two studio performances (Koussevitzky and Reiner)
are quite wonderful and you can only improve the picture by seeking out
the Toscanini led New York Philharmonic performance from 1935...available
as part of one of that orchestra's mega vanity press release or as a single
disc on the DOREMI label (DHR 7717) or the Szell led NY Phil.  from 1951
probably still available from Music & Arts.

Peter Schenkman, Toronto, Canada