From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Oct 2001 06:08:34 -0500
Michael Butera:

>From what I can tell, there are currently two recordings of Hindemith's
>opera, Mathis der Maler available: Kubelik on EMI and Albrecht on Wergo.
>
>Has anyone heard either of these versions?  What are the pros and cons of
>the recordings? Given a choice, which would you purchase?

I have the Kubelik (Fischer-Dieskau as Mathis) on LP.  Seems fine to me.
Never heard another version, so I can't provide excruciating detail.

In general, however, although I've been grateful to Albrecht's Hindemith
series for providing recordings of lesser-known works, I haven't thought
them especially wonderful as performances.  Again, however, I should say
that I've not heard his Mathis.

Steve Schwartz