From:
Constance Shacklock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 02:02:42 +0100
Dr David Lampson noted:

>Everyone knows, or at least I thought everyone knows, that Pete
>was Ben's enforcer.  Cross Ben, and a visit from Pete was the dreaded
>consequence.

I can tell you something even more terrifying.  Cross Peter, and you could
expect a knock at the door from Imogen Holst!

Ah, dear, dear Imo.  I often think she would have made a great 'mafiosa'.
She used to make me laugh so much with her Damon Runyon impressions, I
almost died!  This talent for mimicry obviously ran in the family:  her
father, the great composer Gustav (of whom some of you may have heard) did
a faultless impression of Ellen Terry as Lady Macbeth over the fish course
every Sunday.

He also made astrological charts for close friends - and woe betide you if
Uranus was in conjunction with Mars!  This curious interest had a musical
consequence in a reasonably well-known piece called "The Planets" which
some of you may know.  (Imo once told me that she had Mercury rising, but
I put it down to the inclement weather Aldeburgh was having at the time.)

Ah, Dr Lampson - how you bring those fragrant memories back in flocks!

C. Shacklock (Mrs)
Nessun Dorma Villas
Bognor Regis, W. Sussex