HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 16:49:59 -0400
In a message dated 07/20/2001 11:36:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Now, for my question. How many of you know of examples of moving historic
Euroamerican cemeteries to make way for development? The underlying
implication by the caller was that Euroamericans would not do this to their
own cemeteries, only to Native American graves. I know that is not true, but
I don't have case studies. I am particularly interested in cases that are not
potters fields, but are cemeteries containing headstones and Euroamerican
people with living, known descendents.>>

Cathy,

    I do know that several cemeteries were moved for the construction of Lake
Murray in Lexington Co., S.C. Several others were left in place and simply
flooded. Some of the nearby churches have monuments to those who were moved
and to those not moved. When the lake levels fall too low, as happens
occassionally when there is a severe drought or when repairs are made to the
dam, many of the tombstones are exposed.

    On a side note, as both an American Indian and an archaeologist, I hope
that you don't judge all of us based on those faceless ones who call in to
talk shows. Yes, most of us have a really high reverence for any burial
ground, and I think your ideas about a lack of hierarchy in society
translating to a lack of hierarchy for the sacred are interesting and worth
further study. But I am in archaeology because my tribe recognizes that there
must be a balance between progress and protecting the sacred, and that we
stand to lose more by standing idly by and complaining.

Michelle

J. Michelle Schohn
Ph.D. Student, Department of Anthropology
CB #3115, 211 Alumni Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3115
phone: 919-962-6574
e-mail: [log in to unmask]