From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:37:41 -0500
Just had to  bathe in the fountain of collaboration and understanding before
starting this day.  Currently out on the floor I have:  2 -count 'em, 2!-
mothers of triplets, all born on the same day, all early, of course.  Our
hospital doesn't do breastfeeding well with premies, or anyone else in SCN,
where both sets are.  I can only hope that these moms want to do this badly
enough to prevail in spite of us.  Currently, I am still not allowed to help
in the SCN!!!  I also have a mom with a severe cleft lip and palate baby who
really wanted to breastfeed.  I gave her info while in labor and delivery
about breastfeeding a baby with a cleft malformation.  That was Friday.  The
decision was made by our 'experts' (long story) that this baby couldn't
breastfeed and the doc wrote an order to that effect.  They won't even allow
the Haberman feeder now.   They're using a red nipple and cut a larger hole
in it and are feeding formula.  The report I got from the weekend lc was
that the mother said that she had wanted to breastfeed, but if the doctor
said that wasn't the best thing, well then... you know the rest.  I'm going
out to see her now and see if we can get her pumping anyway!  So, that's the
kind of day I'm going to have.  Whoooppeeee!  Hope yours is better.

Marsha, in rainy and cool (still!) Indiana who's wondering if you can hear
the marbles rolling around from all the head shaking I've been doing!