From:
Karen Kavesh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 13:37:14 EDT
My name is Karen Kavesh.  I'm a Speech -Language Pathologist, former
breastfeeding counselor and long-time Lactnet lurker.  Also, mom of 2
breastfed children and ardent breastfeeding enthusiast.

I thought I would share my most recent and most gratifying success
story:supporting my sister in overcoming tremendous obstacles to
breastfeeding her second child.

Her first child  was a breastfeeeding'failure':  male baby born at 37 weeks,
mom with postpartum hemorrhage,  both discharged 48 hours later with no
breastfeeding follow-up.  Need I say more?

Mom expressed a desire to breastfeed early in this pregnancy.  I was able to
provide her with readable, accurate  information(thanks to the published
works of many Lactnetters).  This baby was a full-term , 7 lb girl, 3 hours
after delivery began vomiting, became lethargic , presumtive dx  GBS.

I arrived 36 hours later at this small rural hospital to find mom trying to
breastfeed  this frantically rooting baby without dislodging baby's IV.  Baby
would mouth breast, fall asleep, come off breast,and begin rooting again.
Improved positioning , latch and use of breast compressions did not result in
more success.

At this point, given the whole picture(no LC or CLE at this hospital) I did
what any currently lactating relative would naturally do---I nursed the
baby(with mom's grateful permission, of course).

After more than a few attempts, baby latched well, and after a few breast
compressions began nursing with audible swallows---came off the breast
looking sleepy and satisfied with milk dribbling  out of her mouth.

I was able to reassure mom of two things---baby was physically capable of
nursing well(give her hope of future success) and also that it wasn't so
simple to get this baby onto the breast well(so she shouldn't feel badly that
*she* was struggling).

Over the couse of the next few days, mom continued to pump and nurse baby.
Baby continued on IV for hydration and abx.  I nursed her several more times
as well. .  By this time, feedings were improving every day.   I was able to
find a good nursing pillow(thank you, W**M**t) and this helped position baby
more comfortably (baby had sore arm/hand  from IV.)

Thankfully, baby came home 1 week later.  By 2 weeks , mom was cue-feeding
baby, clearly understood and responded to early hunger cues, baby was
producing ample poops and wets, and looked filled -out(lovely plump face and
belly). By the time I left, mom was feeding the baby without the use of  the
pillow, and could even hold and eat a bowl of ice-cream(2-handed) while
feeding the baby.

None of this would have been possible without the collective wisdom of all of
YOU, giving me the knowledge and courage to help turn this situation around.

And, I'm convinced that the wet-nursing is what turned the tide towards
breastfeeding success.  Isn't it a shame that most of us live in cultures
that prohibit/inhibit the use of this most effective tool?

Thanks again---back to lurkdom!

    Karen Kavesh, CCC, SLP

    in sunny Philadelphia