From:
"Berkeley, Libby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:14:03 -0600
Just an update for all of you who so kindly helped me with letters to the El
Paso Times reporter who had been approached by R--- Labs with an article
describing a USDA study which supposedly showed that most kids need
follow-up formula.

The reporter at the El Paso Times never called me back nor acknowledged the
multiple Emails.  So, I called her.  Her voice mail said she would be out
until June 11 and I feared that she might never see the Emails.  So I called
her editor.  The editor was most helpful and interested and went so far as
to read me the entire article that had been prepared before the reporter
left.  I don't know if we made the difference or not, but the article made
NO REFERENCE to the so-called USDA study at all, nor did it say anything
about the need for toddler formulas (after l year).  Either she figured that
you don't reference articles that haven't been published or we helped her to
see that when she interviewed our pediatric nutritionist.  The article
seemed quite reasonable regarding toddler foods and even spoke about the
superiority of breastfeeding (even AFTER a year!)

Her editor was so interested in what R--- had done, especially after I
suggested that her paper had been targeted for what was essentially free
advertising, that she said she thought there might be a story right there
too.  Which brings up my next question.  I havea copy of the fax that was
sent to this reporter from the pharmaceutical company making all these
claims.  What should we do with it?  Isn't there some sort of ethical
violation here?  What if it is patently false?  What then?  Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help, again, couldn't do it without all of you,
libby in El Paso