From:
"Berkeley, Libby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 09:37:30 -0600
Help!  We got a call from the El Paso Times (our only newspaper) two days
ago. The reporter said she was in possession of a "study" by the USDA that
claims that 1-year olds are not receiving enough nutrients, specifically
iron, zinc and calcium.  This "study" (which she couldn't materialize)
claimed that S-----c 2 and Is---l 2 (follow-up formulas) should be used to
"supplement" the picky toddler and give parents "the confidence that their
older babies are getting balanced nutrition".

When we asked to see the study, of course, she couldn't provide it.  But she
did show us a fax from her source and it turns out the "study" was funded by
R--- (duh) Labs and the fax was directly from the representative of that
company.  The El Paso Times was completely comfortable with printing the
story with ONE source!!!  She thought we (myself and a pediatric
nutritionist who was also appalled) were "radical" and argumentative.

If anybody wants to see this fax I can send it to you.

It would be very very helpful to us if any of you would Email this reporter
and just state that we have not seen such a study and that most evidence
about toddler nutrition does not support the use of these types of follow-up
formulas.  (Our nutritionist here tells me that the way to feed a toddler is
to offer lots of types of foods and let the child be self-regulated.  A
multi-vitamin, varied diet, and fortified foods are almost always adequate.)
We did mention AAP, WHO, NAPNAP, ACOG, and other professional organizations'
positions.

Her name is Melissa Martinez and her Email is [log in to unmask]

The more Emails the better.  Please use your credentials, and if you don't
mind, cc it to me.
Thanks Thanks THANKS for your help.

libby in El Paso