From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 22:58:54 EDT
Karen Lowell wrote:
<<I suggested that she discuss the inclusion of her bm
 in the diet with her dietician, but wanted to ask this group since I  have no idea if the dietician is knowledgeable about or receptive to the  potential contribution of bm in a case like this.>>

I would be very surprised if she gets a positive response from most HCP's, but this does not mean it isn't a good idea. BUT, she would have to eliminate all of his allergens from her diet as well, including all gluten foods and cow milk products.
    BTW, there is a PT in my area who works extensively with kids w/ autism and other serious brain or nervous system injuries. People come from hundreds of miles to see him. She might want to look into CST or integrated PT. Also, The Center for Functional Medicine has done a great deal of remarkable research on leaky gut and she may want to contact them. Finally, there is a doctor in Pennsylvania who stumbled onto a connection between autism and vit A deficiency in the mothers. She noticed quite a few of her patients (the moms) with night blindness had kids w/ autism. Anyway, she and then another physician (a ped who heard about her experience) both saw remarkable results with cod liver oil added to the children's diets. (I do not know the name of the doctor). There has also been recent discussion linking autism to the use of pitocin, but I cannot remember where I saw it.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA