From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 22:29:03 EDT
Chris wrote:
<<In a plenary session at the Bf NOW conference I made reference to
 the fact that I had been either pregnant, nursing or both for 11 out of the
 past 12 years (do the math: 3 boys nursed each over 3 years and still
 counting, plus a couple of miscarriages, nursed through one pregnancy,
 tandem nursed for a while, etc) and I saw jaws drop to the floor in about
 half the audience of approx. 400.  Of course, many of  those who could
 relate came up to me during the conference and thanked me for normalizing
 this as a "stage" in women's reproductive lifespan.>>

Last night on DiscoveryHealth I caught the tail end of a program entitled  "Your Period; Your Choice". The idea is that women can potentially create some protection for themselves from estrogen-linked cancers by artificially supressing their periods. There was no discussion about the benefits of pregnancy or breastfeeding. As is so often the case, we (western, medicalized society)come millimeters away from recognizing the inherent truth in something physiologically normal and then we rush in to obliterate it with drugs.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA