From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 06:54:17 -0700
Alexis:  In a plenary session at the Bf NOW conference I made reference to
the fact that I had been either pregnant, nursing or both for 11 out of the
past 12 years (do the math: 3 boys nursed each over 3 years and still
counting, plus a couple of miscarriages, nursed through one pregnancy,
tandem nursed for a while, etc) and I saw jaws drop to the floor in about
half the audience of approx. 400.  Of course, many of  those who could
relate came up to me during the conference and thanked me for normalizing
this as a "stage" in women's reproductive lifespan.  Several professionals
said that the more we (hcps) come out of the closet about this, the more
normal this pattern will seem.  I'm sure there are those in the audience who
didn't hear a thing I said about policy after I said that but I'm glad I
said it.  How sad it is that we have to re-educate society in this way!
Warmly,
--
--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: Lactation Consulting, Perinatal Health