From:
Mark Ehlert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:17:08 -0500
Deryk Barker commented:

>...I found that Haydn in 1794 wrote an opera called Windsor Castle.  May
>be the Serenade was part of that.

The opera Windsor Castle is by J.P.  Salomon; Haydn just supplied the
overture, or he allowed it to be used for the production.  I believe the
same overture is found in Haydn's opera Orfeo and Euridice.  It -- the
overture, that is -- is performed on occasion and, I think, is quite good.
I recommend the Goodman/Hanover Band rendition (coupled with very spirited
performances of the symphonies no.  101 and 102 on Hyperion...if you can
find it).

Mark K. Ehlert